Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: List Merge Post Reply Post New Topic
cathro

Quote cathro Replybullet Topic: List Merge
    Posted: 26 Jul 07 at 2:13PM
Hi,

I am trying to merge 2 PDF documents I created with PDF redirect with 2 PDF documents already in PDF format.  The erroro I get says that 'one of the files in the merge list is missing, locked or encrypted'.  I have tried re-booting my computer and have got the error several times.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 07 at 12:48AM
I am assuming that you are sure that neither of the two PDF files are not locked or encrypted. If that is the case, then I am not sure what the problem is. Can you send me the PDF files to me (assuming they are not too big, and do not contain proprietary data). I can certainly analyze the PDF files to see what the problem might be.

My e-mail address is exp (at) exp-systems (dot) com.

Thanks!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 07 at 3:38PM
Hi John,

Thanks for the files: I received them and took a look. You sent me two files which were scanned documents. The two PDF files were created by "Canon", so I am assuming that your Canon has software that allows you to scan directly to the PDF format.

I was able to duplicate the program as you described.

I was able to merge the two files together, but only if I re-saved the PDF files using Adobe's Acrobat, or using PDF reDirect as follows:

PDF reDirect
    1. Added File1.pdf in the Merge List,
    2. Saved it as "File 1 - resaved w PDFR.pdf"
    3. Did the same thing for File2.pdf
    4. Then, added the resaved files to the Merge List
    5. Merged the two resaved files using PDF reDirect - with no errors.

Acrobat
    1. Loaded File1.pdf into Adobe's Acrobat
    2. Saved a copy as "File 1 - resaved w Acrobat.pdf"
    3. Repeated the same thing w File2.
    4. Merged the two resaved files using PDF reDirect - with no errors.

What is interesting is that even though there are no obvious errors in the PDF files that you sent, somehow Adobe's Acrobat and PDF reDirect re-writing the files seems to remove any errors within the Canon generated files.

So, it comes down to this: either PDF reDirect has a bug and does not handle a proper PDF generated by the Canon software, or vice-versa, the Canon generated PDF file has an error which PDF reDirect does not know how to handle.

What to do next? You have two options: the first is to use the technique I have given above to create PDF files that you can merge later. However, there is an easier way. More than likely, your Canon software also comes with a "copier" or "photocopy" or "scan-to-printer" feature which will allow you to send the scanned document directly to a printer. You can use that feature to send the scanned document(s) to PDF reDirect. Repeat for all the pages, and then merge the scanner PDF files into a single PDF file. The biggest benefit is that you won't have to save intermediate single-page PDF files before being able to merge everything together. That's what I do here.

I hope that helps!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
catoon

Quote catoon Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 07 at 11:40AM
Three Cheers for  the Group Moderator and this forum.  I am having the same problem with scanned pdf's.  Only moments ago, I registered with this support & already have my solution.  Yay!  

This, the first time I've had a problem.  During my experience, PDFR choked and quit responding in addition to the error message Cathro mentioned.

I really appreciate PDFR, it's freeware license, and the support offered.

Thank You
IP IP Logged
catoon

Quote catoon Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 07 at 11:52AM
Whoops,

I jumped the gun.  I cannot in fact resave my files in Redirect as it gives error message:  ...."file in use by reader"   when the file is NOT open or in use anywhere.  or merely "PDF not created properly"

I have un and re-installed this program also. 
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 18 Dec 07 at 8:39PM
Hi Catoon,

Welcome to the forum!

Were your scanned files created using a Canon scanner/PDF creator as well?

Have you considered using PDF reDirect to convert the scanner output to a PDF? Most scanners these days have a "copier" function that allows you to send a scann to a printer. If you select PDF reDirect as the output printer, it should work. You can also use PaperPort software which is sometimes bundled with scanners and get similar results.

Cheers!

EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
catoon

Quote catoon Replybullet Posted: 19 Dec 07 at 3:29PM
Thanks Michel, for the reply

Actually mine were scanned to PDF with a Samsung multi-function printer.  Unfortunately, they were scanned by a third party and I must use what exists.

The project I am working on involves creating pdfs from a variety of (mostly outdated) source files.  By outdated, I refer to original documents in early Pagemaker, Works 4.0, and even WordStar in one case.   The wordstar documents are the ones which were scanned.  

My first post was only the tip of the iceberg regarding the constant annoyance of this task.  Each of the softwares has it's own compatibility issues and I do not have every version of Pagemaker, or Works to perform upward compatible SaveAs commands.

Late yesterday, I decided to install a 30 day trial of Acrobat 8 Pro and feel I am again making progress, albeit slowly.

Thanks again for your help.  I will continue to use Redirect and this forum in the future as it has been great for everything else I do.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version