Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: New version, can you make it "smaller"? Post Reply Post New Topic
zboyblue

Quote zboyblue Replybullet Topic: New version, can you make it "smaller"?
    Posted: 14 Jan 06 at 7:17PM
I just installed the new version and while it has lots of new features it is HUGE compared to the old one. I use this ONLY to print things to pdf and use it ALL day long (20+ times a day) ..

Is it possible to "make it smaller" or somehow load up a "limited" set of functions?

Craig
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 06 at 5:13PM
Hi,

"Huge" huh?

I must admit that I used to "compress" the executable to make it harder for crackers to break the license code. However, I have stopped doing that to keep things simple for myself. Also, even though the executable is larger, a lot of the code is in the "Preferences" and is not loaded unless they are needed, so the overall load time has not increased much, and is in fact 5-10 sec shorter with v2.1 than v2.0.16 when you specify a custom startup path.

I have worked very hard to keep the overall package as small as possible and in fact v2.1.1 is smaller than v2.0.16. It really is difficult to find the balance between more features (which is 99% of the requests) and keeping things fast and simple.

If you are looking for something really small, you can install the old "PDF reDirect v1.2.4" available [here] at the same time as the new PDF reDirect v2.1: it is much, much smaller, but it does not process the conversion in a separate parallel thread which means it will not start the conversion process until you have selected the output folder. Here are some numbers for comparison:

PDF reDirect v1.2.4
  • Download Size: 3.0 MB
  • User Interface Executable: 60 KB (compressed)
  • PDF Conversion Executable: N/A (included in above)

PDF reDirect v2.0.16
  • Download Size: 5.9 MB
  • User Interface Executable: 928 KB
  • PDF Conversion Executable: 180 KB

PDF reDirect v2.1.1
  • Download Size: 5.2 MB
  • User Interface Executable: 1,030 KB
  • PDF Conversion Executable: 240 KB

I hope that helps explain better why things are the way they are. If it will make you feel better, I can compress the executables for you: it will make them smaller, but, in my testing, the program does not startup any quicker.

IP IP Logged
zboyblue

Quote zboyblue Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 06 at 5:39PM
no no .. I was not clear (sorry) .. I dont mean the exe is "HUGE" I mean the interface is ...

I use it to print files I am working with to pdf and use it all day .. all I need is a little window big enough to type the name of the file ... I just moved to a new computer and thats why I installed the new version. The old one did what I needed but crashed every once in a while (more like "hung") ..so I figured the new version would be better.

But my question is: Is it possible to make the INTERFACE smaller or load up a basic interface when using the print version of the software?

Craig
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 06 at 11:02PM
Oops!

I'm assuming that you have tried to make the window as small as possible, but the smallest size is still too big.

I have two requests similar to yours already on my "todo" list:
  • Have for the Batch Printer Options (Professional version) to be able to setup a batch printer which will show a standard "Save As..." dialog, with all of the settings preset in advance.
  • A smaller minimum size compatible with 800x600 screen. It sounds like this is more or less what you want.

In the mean time, you could install v1.2.4: it will install and be available at the same time as the v2.1.1. You will find that it takes less real estate.

There is also the option of clicking the "Minimize" button while holding the [SHIFT] key - the user interface will go into "tiny" mode, but only for that session, so I don't think that will help you.

Cheers!

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
zboyblue

Quote zboyblue Replybullet Posted: 15 Jan 06 at 11:12PM
When do you think you will have the batch printer options thing done? That seems like what I am looking for. I dont want to "downgrade" but do need to have this thing more like a print window.

Please let me know.

and THANKS!

Craig
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 1:12AM
Hi Craig,

Now very long, about 2 to 3 weeks max with about 10 other "easy-to-do" things that are on the list.

and... you are welcome!

Michel
IP IP Logged
zboyblue

Quote zboyblue Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 10:01AM
Ok ... do you have an email list where you email people about new releases? (Or could you post back here when its released so I will get an email)?

Craig
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 16 Jan 06 at 10:54PM
Hi Craig,

From within the program, you can click "Preferences" (the green button) and from there, you can click on the "Check Web for Updates". Do this once in a while (once a month?) to see if an upgrade is available. The program will also give you the option to download and install the upgrade automatically.

Alternatively, you can also sign up to receive the newsletter [here]. Please note that this newsletter is published only for significant upgrades, or if a major bug was found and fixed. I try not to be too annoying with the newsletter tool, so I limit those to once or twice per year.

In addition, the forum does get updated with new releases and changes at the following posting:
http://www.exp-systems.com/forum_exp/forum_posts.asp?TID=17&PN=1

Edited by Michel_K17
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version