Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Using PDF reDirect
 EXP Systems Forum : PDF reDirect : Using PDF reDirect
Topic: Using PDFredirect from a Windows Service Post Reply Post New Topic
kaithomas

Quote kaithomas Replybullet Topic: Using PDFredirect from a Windows Service
    Posted: 24 Jun 13 at 10:28AM
I have used PDF redirect for years from a program doing some sort of Office Automation without a problem.

The aforementioned application has been converted into a Windows Service. The call to PDFredirect pretends to be fine but the PDF file that is supposed to make an appearance doesn't.

The application opens a docx file with Word and then issues a "print" command with a batch printer pointing to PDF redirect. No change at all to what was done before.

The target folder is a local drive. The Windows Event Log doesn't mention PDFredirect at all. All under Windows 2008 server.

Has anybody experienced this before?
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jun 13 at 11:44AM
Hi,

As a "Service", your calling app will be running as a "System" user. I would check the following:

1. Make sure that your Batch Printer is not set to show the "Save As..." dialog box, because it will not show.
  2. Make sure that if you are writing to a mapped drive, that the "System" user has access to that mapped drive. As an alternative, try writing to the target using a UNC path.
  3. Turn on Error logging (Preferences >> General >> Debug >> Generate Log Files. Then try to create the PDF until it fails. Re-open PDF reDirect Pro under your account, and take a look at the log. Look for the "CA" code (Capture.exe) in particular which processes the Batch Printer output.
  4. Try Beta v2.5.4
If the above those not help, it could be that the problem is at the PDF reDirect Print Monitor level which is integrated in the Windows Print Spooler flow. It is possible to generate an error log for this, but the process requires some manual setup: contact me for the details.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
kaithomas

Quote kaithomas Replybullet Posted: 29 Jun 13 at 2:21AM
Thanks for that.

The log file helped to identify the culprit which turns out to be not PDFredirect but Microsoft Office.

I almost missed your posting because I ticked the I ticked the "Email Notify me of Replies" box but did not get any notification.
IP IP Logged
Michel_K17
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Quote Michel_K17 Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 13 at 9:01PM
Hi Kaithomas,

Thanks for the update: I am gald to hear that you found the root of the problem.

In regards to the (lack of) notification: not sure what happened. I would check your spam folder first. Otherwise, in your settings, you can double-check to see if the notifications for this thread has been set properly.

Cheers!

Michel Korwin-Szymanowski
EXP Systems LLC
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version